Sunday, September 4, 2011

Making Vinegar I

Since I had so many cores and apple peels from canning the apples, I decided to give making vinegar a try. I found this video on youtube.com, and it seems simple enough. We'll see what happens.




Here's a picture of the first jar I had going.

Day 1
Day 2
You can see the foam at the left.

Below is the juice from combined of two jars I started using the peels from the apples Lola eats each night. It's in a quart jar. I was a bit surprised at how little juice I got. Perhaps you can use less fruit and get the same bang. I poured the juice off the jar when it foamed. Then I poured water over the apple bits and went for a second round.



Here are pics of the two jars I started using the cores and peels from the apples I canned. I don't know what size the jars are. 1/2 gallon maybe. They're too big for me use for canning but seem to be perfect for this. I discovered that if I cut the plastic disc about the size of the jar there's no need to weigh it down with a jar. That works better for me because the kitchen is so small there's really no place to set this with a cloth draped over it to keep fruit flies out of it. I covered the jar mouth with a paper towel and screwed a canning ring on it.

Now I just have to wait a month or so and hopefully have apple vinegar.

Two jars of hopefully apple vinegar

Close up of plastic disc.


No comments: