Friday, April 15, 2011

Sidetracks

A few nights ago around 8:30 p.m. I saw Dad standing outside on the patio overlooking the basement stairs, even though I already locked up outside. He can't seem to go in a straight line to bed lately. He was on his way; then he got sidetracked to outside. Who knows. He sat down and stayed there a while and came in.

The last two days Dad has gotten up and not known where his hearing aids are. He's seemingly not even thinking of putting them in in the morning. If he is, they are lost to him, and then he forgets about them. Yesterday when he lost them, I found them in his pajama pocket. When I told him "in your pajamas," he asked me again. I said, "In your pajamas." His reply was "And you can just go to hell now that I've you pajamas." Huh?  It dawned on me he didn't know where his pajamas were. I told him his bedroom, but by that time he had turned around and was walking away.

Mom got up by herself today about 12:30 p.m.  That was nice after her wanting to sleep forever the past two days.  It meant getting her first meal ready at the same time as Dad's lunch, which was a bit hectic. She gets cereal the first meal. He demands meat. We got it all settled out smoothly.

This afternoon about 4:00 p.m., Mom was sitting in her chair as usual, and she looked at me and said, "Gayle, where's the bathroom?"  All I have to do is wave in the general direction and say, "over that way," and she's okay.

Dad came and told us a rambling tale about the neighbor next door cleaning up his yard. What he meant was mowing, but he couldn't come up with the word.  He then went outside and sat on the patio for a while. When he came back in, he wanted food. There's never good food in the house.  I had just given both of them a snack.

What he wanted was an ice cream bar, which I got for him. He had already gotten himself a canned coke. In the time it took me to go downstairs to the freezer and get another ice cream bar and get back upstairs and give it to him, he still had not been able to open the soda can.  He asked me to do it for him.

I've been slack about blogging this week. I'll do that in another post.

No comments: