Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lola's Confusion - Makeup

I can't remember what day this happened, Saturday or Sunday, but I needed to get it  documented.  Ah, it was Sunday. At 3:00 Lola left the living room. I could hear her rooting around in another room. What a position to be in - having to monitor your parent like a toddler. You don't want them doing something dangerous, and at their stage, that is something to worry about as they don't have a clue anymore what is dangerous. Yet, you want to give them privacy, and to let them do things.

In a few minutes, Mom came to the door and asked me to "Come here." I followed, and she led me to the bathroom. She stood in front of the cabinet and spreading her hands in dismay, said, "There's all this makeup here." I said, "Yes." She got her disgusted look and said, "Well." "Well, what?" I asked. I told her it was her makeup, and we didn't touch it because it was hers. She told me she didn't use "all of that stuff."

So I told her that it was perfectly okay to move it or to throw it away, whatever, as it's her stuff to do with as she wants. I asked her if she wanted me to throw it away. No reply, just staring at the floor. I asked her if she wanted me to move it. No reply. I lifted her head so she'd look at me and said, "Mama, what do you want?" With disgust she said, "I don't know what I want," and then she said she needed to use the bathroom. I just picked up the basket the makeup was in left her alone.

The magnitude of this Southern woman not being cognizant of her makeup is about like the San Andreas fault going. Add to that a Goin woman not being cognizant of her makeup. The Goin matriarch set a standard of always being perfectly powdered and groomed that is still commented on to this day. For my mother to not be cognizant of her makeup is like the ultimate concession that this woman has lost her mind.

I stashed the basket under the cabinet in the other bathroom. There's no way to know if she'll remember it, wonder why it's missing, or never even notice it's gone.

I've noticed the last two days that her head has been bobbing at times. That's not happened in months. It's a sign she's upset about something. I've wondered if she was missing the sitters as they engage her so much better than I do.

(On Sunday) Well, darn, the electricity just went off. Our substation goes out more often than any around us. Ours will frequently go off while there are lights on in houses across the street and 2 doors down from us. Sure hope they get it fixed before it starts to get hot in the house.

I commented to Mama about it, saying we'd just have to find something else to do besides watch TV and wondering what people did before electricity (I was just trying to make conversation.) In reply, she wondered what went on before Columbus discovered American. A train went by, and she told that her daddy used to be a signal man for the IC railroad and they used to get passes which was fun.

No comments: