Sunday, August 7, 2011

Eating Primitive

I'm doing a little research on foraging. I'd love to be able to forage a little, but right now my foraging experience is limited to poke in the spring and dandelions. Pretty poor skills there.  I think I'm going to have to break down and buy, gasp, a real book with pictures.

Anyway, in my research I ran across this video on youtube.com about primitive bark plates, ash cakes, and hemlock tea. I'm linking it because it is fascinating. His youtube name is gotrocksinhead which I bet a lot people think is appropriate. I don't think I'm going to run out and make some ash cakes tomorrow. However, seeing it done confirmed I could do it, and that's always good. I loved the drinking cup he made and watching him peel bark for plates. I'd likely pass on the evergreen/hemlock tea, but if you're starving, nutrients are good things. Now I'm just pondering what acorn flour tastes like.


No comments: