Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Back in LaLa Land in September and Jeanne's Visit

Whew, the first few days I got back, I didn't have much patience with Joe. Monday morning he wouldn't put his teeth in with his breakfast sitting in front of him. He said he didn't have any teeth to put in. He was being particularly thick and not understanding I meant his top teeth. How he could do this when I was pointing at his top gums, I have no clue. I had to go get them and put them in front of him. Finally he put them in and ate breakfast.

Since I've been back, I've had to force him to take his hearing aid out and put a new battery in it. Doh! He could hear after that. But he fought me all the way on taking the blasted thing out of his ear.

Monday morning I awoke to him asking Lola for matches so he could burn. Shudder.
I pretended I was still asleep, and he didn't bug me about it. Tuesday evening he asked me to go down and burn with him. We've got a 150-foot hose that almost gets there, and we've got an additional 50-foot hose that would do the trick. The only problem is that, for the life of me, I cannot unscrew the nozzle from the end of the connected hose (connected to the water faucet) to join it to the new hose. I sprayed it with WD-40 and am hoping it will loosen up one day.

The water would just barely reach the burn pit if a grass fire did start, so I went ahead and started the brush pile burning for him. With the weather finally in the lower 80's by the evening, it wasn't terrible duty, and I stayed with him until it was burned down to below danger level.

He's still getting caught up in emptying any trashcan that catches his eye and can't remember where any of them go. I usually just ask him to set it down by me, and I wander the house until I find an empty spot.

Monday, he was also trying with the ice cream bars. He found the box of them we thought we had hidden, and ate 3 of them for sure. He might have scarfed a 4th I didn't see. I finally pegged to it and talked him out of the last one I saw him trying to get.  Of course, he was up at 1:00 a.m. because he had an accident. It took him 20 minutes to take care of it, which meant I was up at 1:20, cleaning the bathroom and putting pants in the washing machine for a first washing.

Lola really likes her pickles. Before I had left, Uncle Charles had given me the last of the cukes. I left a full jar of cucumbers and onions in vinegar in the fridge the day I left. When I got back, the sitters hadn't even touched it. Since I returned, I've been giving Lola a nice large serving with her lunch and supper. They're the first thing she eats.

Last but not least, today, Tuesday, Lola's sister Jeanne came to visit along with her daughter, Jill. They arrived around noon and stayed till just after 4:00 p.m.  Jill and I left Lola and Jeanne in the living room to visit, and we sat in the kitchen yakking. We also took an errand run to Bardwell and left Jeanne, Lola and Joe  alone. It was nice for Jill and me to be out together. Lola enjoyed the day so much and the KY Fried Chicken that Jill brought that she's told me so every 15 minutes since they left.

It's now 11:35 p.m., and Lola has been so jived from her visit from Jeannie that she has spent the last 40 minutes discovering she owns VCR tapes, books in the book case, photographs, and clothes in her closet. I'm real tempted to call Jill right this very minute and tell her since I'm having such a great time right now, she should be awake having an equally good time. Holey moley, finally at 11:45 p.m. I asked her to go to bed. She asked me why I didn't (go to bed, too). Well since I sleep on the sofa in the living room, I tried to be nice and told her I had to get her in bed first. She agreed to go, thank heaven, and at 11:50 p.m. she's in bed.

Just as a note and a document, she's been out of diuretic pills for about 4 days (haven't been able to get to docs to refill prescription), and her ankles are very swollen. I gave her a couple of my water pills tonight to try to get through to tomorrow. However, her ankles really shouldn't be that swollen by now. I am thinking it has something to do with the continual need to go to the bathroom and kidney/bladder function.

No comments: