Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dill Slices

I wished for cucumbers for dill pickles, and lo and behold, Uncle Charles arrived at the house Saturday morning with, ta da, a sack of cucumbers and squash in hand. This Sunday morning I got to ooh and ahh over my gorgeous 9 half-pints of dill slices. To boot, I put up 3 jars of squash just to see what they'll taste like. Tonight Mom and I will dine on fine squash.

Now if I can just get my pickling solution recipe tweaked for when the okra come in. Those are my and Lola's favorites. Max and I still laugh about an incident from when we were first married in the early 90's. I had canned my first pickled okra and proudly took a jar to his mother. She eagerly bit into one, and the look on her face was priceless. I think her eyes crossed and her pucker was uncontrollable. Oh my, that recipe was horrible, so very sour. She tried so hard to hide how bad they were, and Max and I were about to fall out of our chairs laughing at that look. That taught me the hard way to never give away something I've canned without tasting and checking the recipe first.

Gorgeous Dill Slices

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Now THIS is the one I want the recipe for! Do they stay crisp?

I just noticed you have follow by email! Yay! Now it won't take me three weeks to catch up!

Jess said...

Wow you are a canning maniac!!!