Sunday, February 13, 2011

Parent Blather

It's been a week of ups and downs with the parents. It took a major battle to get Dad to take a shower this week. I haven't been able to talk Mother into letting me cut and wash her hair, and it's looking horrible.  Last night I told her she was either going to have to let me cut it or starting pulling it back in a bun. It made her giggle, but sadly that's what it will come to.

Dad turned 90 on Feb. 4, and received a card from my mother's brother and his wife. Dad and Mom decided I probably didn't know them.  Hello? This has been a recent theme; they don't think I've ever met my aunts and uncles. If I say a cousin's name, they don't know who the cousin is unless I tell them who the parents are.

It is so sad seeing them devolve to this state. I missed seeing my grandparents go through this by dent of my dad's parents' death before I was born, being too young to comprehend my mom's dad's demise, and being overseas during her mother's demise. At the end of the day, humans' degeneration at the end of life really bothers me. In an ideal cycle of life, people would simply die in their sleep without turning into imbeciles. Of course, I'm also of the school of thought that humans shouldn't party and give birth in the same place they pee and poop. It's just wrong.

I've been thinking that I'll stop posting about this on my Eclectic Blog. Sometimes I'm so frustrated by it, that all I feel is irritation and want to rant.  I also feel it's not quite honorable to publish to the world the demise of articulate dignified people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you won't stop posting about being a caregiver. It's someplace safe you can rant, and it can help other people who are going through the same thing. It really helped my best friend, who was caring for her mother of 94 until she passed away last month. And you're not putting their decline on display; you're documenting the changes in a very loving way. It may help you in the future. Just my $.02.

Jola Gayle said...

Thanks, Cherizac, for the feedback. 'Preciate it.