Monday, February 28, 2011

It's So Often the Little Things

I know it's late, but I've just finished up washing the dishes from the day. How this ties into the subject line is the clogged drain. When I left a week ago, the drain in the sink was clogged up. I'd already tried to Draino it 2 times. The sitters were comfortable with me leaving them with another bottle of Draino in hand and instructions to call me if that didn't work.

The Draino never worked. I never received a call, so I didn't call the plumber. When I returned, the kitchen sink drain was/is still draining slowly. I've been here a week but have put off calling the plumber trying to wait for the beginning of the month. Ergo, washing the dishes is a pain in the patooty. The dishwasher is totally out.

So I leave the dishes to the end of the day. I keep a big bowl of water in the sink for hand and knife washing. I keep the other sink somewhat filled to put dishes in to keep crusts from forming. At the end of the day, everything gets drained, and the dishes get washed. Except sometimes the sink drains quickly, and sometimes it drains slowly. Tonight, it drained oh, so very slowly, and it was Academy Awards night. So I've just finished washing dishes at 1:30 a.m.

Hehehe, I am just like my mother in wanting to stay up late and likewise get up late. If only Dad didn't want to get up so friggin' early...

Additionally, the electrical outlets on the right of the kitchen quit working. That's the side with the microwave and the toaster, both of which are used daily. I know it's a fuse that's blown. Only problem is that I cannot for the life of me get the old fuse unscrewed, nor did the store I went to last week have a 30-amp fuse. I have to wait until tomorrow and am keeping my fingers crossed the other local store has one. Otherwise I'll have to drive 30 miles to get one. Oh, and I still have to get the blown one unscrewed.

It was predicted we would have vicious storms tonight after bedtime. I've been a bit hesitant to go ahead and go to bed. Trying to get weather maps to download on a Verizon Wireless connection is more than a pain in the patooty. It's downright ridiculous. From what I can finally tell, the storms will likely arrive around 5:00 a.m. If I go visit Oz, it will be a total surprise. From asleep to awake in 10 seconds or less, I figure.

Another to-do item for next week - call the cable company and change my parents' service to include internet. Try explaining that to a frugal 90-year-old that can't hear, damns the internet, and doesn't understand or care about my "desperate need" for it. He'll throw a hissy fit. It won't get through to him that I'll be paying for the extra service. So I absolutely *have* to be here when they come to set it up. Then I have to coordinate with husband in Memphis to set up the wireless router. Life can be sooo much fun.

On the other hand, I'm listening to "Mistress of the Art of Death" by Ariana Franklin, which is quite entertaining. It's a story of a female coroner (so to speak) set in the time of Henry II, in Cambridge, England.

No comments: