Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pictures About the Mowing

Most of the relatives already know this lawn/field area surrounding my parents' house.  For those of you who don't and may be wondering why on earth I moan and groan so much about the mowing, these are pics of the area that need mowing.

That's according to what my Dad demands. These are the areas he's always kept mown. Wait, spell check doesn't like the word "mown" at all.  Isn't that a valid word anymore? Sigh.

The first picture is of the front yard. It extends to the last individual tree you can see on the left.

The second picture is of the back yard/field. The yard extends about 5 feet to the left of the end of the workshop. I know you can't visualize from this pic, but there is another window just to the left of the edge of the pic, and the building ends equidistant like the end of the window on the right. This is my Dad's workshop where he used to make furniture.

The stump on the left is the tree that split and fell on the left edge of the workshop during a storm. The field that Dad requires to be mowed ends at the tree line at the far back of the picture.

The third picture is the right side of the property. What he owns and has always mowed is L-shaped. The neighbors to the right own land just past the line of trees on the right.  You can see the difference in the color of the lawn/field just past the trees.

Their land is darker green. My Dad's land is lighter. It extends to the far back full tree line you can see.

What I haven't shown here is the "Apple Orchard."  Dad planted a lot of apple trees 30 years ago. I can't remember the number but I think it was about 30 trees.  I'll try to take a pic of them tomorrow.  You can't see them due to the slope of the land and the trees.

OMG, I only got back there a few days ago when I had to retrieve the golf cart from being stuck. It was just 3 days ago that it was dry enough to mow and I finally got to see it all. At this point in time, you can't even count the number of trees that are there because so many are down.  Dad got so bad he quit taking care of them years ago.  I didn't realize this.  Flitter, I never walked back there.

He hadn't pruned them in years I now realize, probably in two decades. He may have never known how to properly prune them.  The result  is that they grew so many branches the roots couldn't hold the trees up when the soil became waterlogged.  There are more trees fallen over than there are standing right now. It's a nightmare.

Actually mowing is nigh on to impossible. It's a matter of zigging in and under branches as much as possible.  It's simply a snake fest waiting to happen.  It needs someone to go in with a chainsaw and take all the fallen ones out. Oy.

No comments: