Thursday, August 30, 2012

Anniversaries and DragonCon

On August 28, 2012, Max and I had our 20th wedding anniversary. True to us, we commented on it coming up last Saturday while he was here. Our comments were generally on the side of: OMG, I can't believe it's been that long.

On the day of the anniversary, neither of us wished the other a happy anniversary. Neither of us mailed the other a card; it has to be mail since we don't exactly live together right now. Neither of us got the other a present. We are such fuddy duddies. Even for 20 years, it's like the day slid right by us. So let me say I love him dearly and have been so glad to have him in my life.

Right now, though, to add insult to the injury, my husband is on a vacation to DragonCon with his bloody sister, while I am listening to books and doing puzzles at jigzone.com . We were hoping I would be able to go, but life hasn't been kind that way. At $9.00 an hour, getting a sitter for Lola for  me to spend 5 days in Atlanta just isn't in the cards. Yep, I'm having some whine with my cheese.

For relatives who don't know what DragonCon is, it's the premier Science Fiction/Fantasy convention in the United States, if not the world. The list of authors and actors in the field that are there right now is mind-boggling. It would have been fun to attend a session or two, stroll through the vendors, and watch the stars. Lynn talked Max into at least getting together a costume, although I'm waiting for pictures to verify that he actually donned it. She pulls together fantastic costumes. This is Lynn in the middle with her pointy elven ears at some con she went to, I think in 2009.

So I'm sitting here in Arlington waiting for Max to send me pics via phone or post some to his own blog http://opinionatedcats.blogspot.com/  so I can vicariously enjoy the vacation. In the meantime, I'm listening all my Michael Connelly books of Detective Harry Bosch and attorney Micky Haller ("The Lincoln Lawyer") and am getting ready to start another run through David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series.

Also, I finished Catherine Asaro's last Skolian Empire book, "Carnelians," but it just left me wishing for more. It was a lot of character building and conversation, which I usually like, but this time I rather wished to just have the story move along. I wish Audible would get another Lois McMaster Bujold or L.E. Modessitt book. Both have plenty out in print, but I find I'm awfully spoiled to listening since I can move about the house, spin, or whatever (used to be weave or work glass) while still "reading."

Lola stayed in bed all day today. Sigh. I suppose I could say it was nice she wasn't up at 9:30, after going to bed at 4:00, and clicking the light on and off, on and off, or flipping pages in the photo album. She simply had no interest in getting up. So finally late in the evening I got her up, cleaned the incontinence issue up and fed her so she wouldn't starve to death. She ate and promptly laid back down. I'll have to make sure she's up early tomorrow to overcome the stagger effect of staying in bed all day today.

And just because it's irritating, I'm noting here at the end that my cable is out, although the internet is still on. The internet connection has been iffy though, the whole time I've been writing this. I gave up on waiting to watch the comments on Paul Ryan's speech tonight. Heavens know I didn't really want to watch Mr. Less-Government-Unless-It's-A-Woman's-Uterus, but I am interested in the short cuts the commentators will put up on him.

No comments: