Sunday, June 10, 2012

Garden Update

Here are the beans as of June 1, 2012.

Peppers
Here are the peppers as of June 1, 2012











Well, folks, I'm beginning to wonder if it's ever going to rain for more than 5 minutes at a time in west Kentucky again. I've been so excited about my first garden in mumbledy years. It's living, but it's certainly not thriving. I'm having to water every night, and my water bill will be sky high. No savings there. Only, little seems to actually be growing. Except the pumpkin vine.

The beans are growing a little bit. Same with the tomatoes. None of them are growing very well, though. You'd think as hot as it's been and with me watering, they'd be taking off. Maybe it's just been too darned hot. I'm really over August in May.

Cattle panels for beans
Max was in this weekend, and we got the cattle panels up for the beans to grow up. At least he's not having to mow every time he comes up. The grass just isn't growing.

About those cattle panels. I'm of divided mind in my feelings about them. They'll last ages and don't require maintenance. But it took the two of us to put them up. I'd like to be able to plant and maintain the garden by myself. Not that I'll turn help down, especially with weeding. Still, I'd like to be able to plant a row of beans and trellis it without needing help. Stupid thing to worry about I suppose.

16 feet of panel is just too awkward for one old gal to handle. Mmmm, though I can drag them, and maybe if I'd placed them before I planted I could do it.

Peppers 06/10/12
Tomatoes 6/10/12
Daddy used to go to the bottoms and cut his own cane and pole them that way. I don't even know where to go to cut cane. I need to find out, too, because we still have half a row to trellis some way. I watched a gal put up a nice string trellis, and I've got the baling twine to do it that way. I just hate trying to dig out wood sturdy and tall enough for posts, then digging holes and setting them. Sigh. Dad has wood stuck all over this place. However, in his last years, he put so much junk in the place that getting to something turns into a major clean-out project. Trying to get some perfect tomato stake wood was nigh onto impossible because of the junk. I couldn't get close enough to put something to step on to get up high enough to reach the wood. Argh.

Today it's gray and overcast. The weather map doesn't show any activity within a hundred miles from here, though. Maybe this evening some rain will roll in.

Edited to add:  The little white dots you see in the garden are moth balls. So far they've been totally successful, knock on wood, in keeping the rabbits away from the young and tender plants. Now that I've said that, the rabbits will invade en masse.

Also:  Thank you, Uncle Charles, for the squash and cukes green peppers! I didn't discover them until this evening.  I had just walked into the den as you closed your truck door. I did open the door and try to get your attention as you were driving off. You missed Max by just a little bit. He had left just before you were here.


No comments: