Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cousins

Cousins - the greatest thing since sliced bread. Well, at least to a only child. I luvs me some cuzins.

Take my cousin Melda. I seldom see her; even growing up she lived far enough away that visits were not much more than annual. I am glad to say, though, that she utilizes the internet quite efficiently, and she invariably sends me a bracing email just when I need one.

Then there's my cousin Jill. She's a few months older than I am; she's the only child of my mother's sister. We lived closely enough that we spent a fair amount of time with each other during childhood, especially during the summer. She's the closest thing to a sister I'll ever have.

During my recent visit to her, I was moaning about needing more fitted sheets and she gamely jumped into her linens and offered me a couple. She doesn't have any more standard-sized beds so opined she likely wouldn't need them anymore. I gratefully accepted her offer. A few days later needing another sheet for Mother's bed, I pulled one out. Mmmmmmm, wonder what on earth she needed two circles for?



Jill has a daughter, Julie, who is now in her middle 30s, and who has grown up to be vital, beautiful woman. Julie's husband, Andy, is in the Coast Guard, and they live in Sitka, Alaska for now. Apparently Sitka has a large and vibrant arts community, and Julie participates in a couple of dance troupes for fun. Recently they did a production of interpreting the sea, and these are photos of Julie in the number. Julie is in blue and is wearing the white headdress.


No comments: