Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Lola Update 11-07-12

Lola 11-06-12
Mother is doing the same in her new diminished level. She is still throwing everything on the floor - her teeth, her comb, her pudding cups, the Hershey Kisses' wrappers, her drinking glass (with a screw-on top), etc. At least once a day she can't remember how to put her bottom denture back in after I glue it for a meal. When I come with all the stuff required to clean her up due to the incontinence, she asks me what I'm doing. When I say it's time to change her underwear, she asks what that means.

She can barely get up now. A month ago, I was scared of this, but she got better; at least she got better enough to stand up while I changed and cleaned her. Now she can barely stand up, and once up can barely stay up long enough to get the underwear off.

Sigh.  I'm scared it really is time to get a hospital bed and retire her to it. I've discovered I can't move her enough - roll her, etc., to do what's necessary in the chair. I thought I could, but I can't. Egads, that means finding a place to store her bed while the hospital bed is here. It also means coordinating getting one here and set up.

I think I need someone to come and teach how to do this stuff. Max found the Ky. state website about Ky. Health Care. He said the contact for help in Carlisle County was at the Senior Citizens Center in Bardwell. I plan to go over there and see what help I can get. The Ky. website said respite care for caregivers is available and other help, but not all services are offered in all places. Figures. I sure hope I'm wrong, but I fear all Carlisle County will offer will be meals-on-wheels, in-center med checks, food pick-up, and stuff like that.

She wallows her hair into a bird's nest. When I hand her the comb, she knows to comb. However, she gets the front and that's it. The back of her doesn't exist in her mind anymore.

She will still laugh and grin if I manage to say something that hits her funny bone. When she realizes I'm taking a picture, she always wants to smile for the camera.

That's it for the Lola Update.

No comments: